Veterinary Street Outreach Services (Vet SOS) AmeriCorps Member
VET SOS is a volunteer-based project operated by the San Francisco Community Clinic Consortium (SFCCC), in collaboration with several local animal service agencies. This position is part of SFCCC's Health Corps AmeriCorps program and is most suitable for individuals interested in entering or expanding their Veterinary Medicine or Human-Animal Support Service careers. The position provides outreach and support services to homeless pet owners and their companion animals in San Francisco.
• Coordinating a monthly mobile veterinary clinic including: driving outreach van to and from clinic locations, scheduling and orienting volunteers, synchronizing services with community partner agencies, maintaining clinic inventory, securing product donations, ensuring efficient clinic flow, providing on-site problem solving, data collection, and reporting.
• Supporting the development and maintenance of positive relationships with project stakeholders, including: homeless pet owners, volunteers, partner agencies, and donors.
• Supporting connection of homeless pets and their owners with multiple other service providers, including human healthcare services.
• Answering phone and email inquiries from clients, volunteers, supporters, suppliers, and the general public.
• Current driver's license and clean driving record for past 3+ years per DMV printout. If not currently licensed in CA, must obtain CADL within one month of position acceptance.
• Available to complete 1700 hours of service over 11 months, September 2015 - July 2016. Some pre-service orientation will begin in May 2015.
• 1+ year experience in one or more of the following areas: animal or human/animal support services, street outreach, client advocacy or case management, veterinary health.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Ability to work in fast-paced and diverse environments.
• Preferred Bachelor's degree in related field, e.g. Animal Science, Social Services.
Position provides significant hands-on experience with mobile veterinary clinic operations, a deeper understanding of the therapeutic benefits of the human-animal bond in vulnerable populations, and knowledge of the barriers to veterinary care in the homeless population. For more information, please visit: http://www.sfccc.org/clinics/vetsos.htm . No calls please.
Stipend of $15,000 for 1700 hours completed over an 11-month term, Education Award of $5,730 upon completion of service hours, plus benefits
Application Deadline: March 20, 2015
To apply, please email or submit a cover letter and resume to:
SFCCC Vet SOS- AmeriCorps Position
1550 Bryant Street, Suite 450
San Francisco, CA 94103
Fax: (415) 865-9960